Letters to a daughter from her parents, starting from before she was born

Saturday, May 10, 2014

A year ago

Ada,
One year ago we were at James and Julia's wedding weekend celebration. We had a really excellent time.  The wedding was on a Saturday, so we packed up to leave on a Sunday.  We wished the moms there a happy Mother's Day and went on our way. It was going to be another bittersweet day for me, since I longed for a baby and it didn't seem like it was going to ever happen. Each year Mother's Day was getting more and more difficult to cope with.  

I felt sick on the way home. Sick enough that I made your dad drive. We got home, I took a nap. A friend called and I asked if she'd grab me some sprite.  She came over and I went upstairs to use the bathroom and took a pregnancy test on this weird whim. I'm still not sure why I decided to.  To my stunned joy...I thought I saw a second line. That had never happened before, so I ran into the your father's office (which used to be where your bedroom is now) and we had this conversation:
"Can you come tell me if you see pink on this...oh shit...you can't see pink!" See...your dad is pretty colorblind and not terribly helpful when looking at light colors.  He, obviously confused, responded with, "pink in what? Minecraft?"
"No! The pregnancy test I just took!"
He obviously ran into the bathroom with me, and we looked with stunned wonderment at the positive pregnancy test.  I then proceeded to drink as much fluid as I could and take 3 more. Each of them, indeed had a faint pink line. The line got stronger each day.
So that's the story of how we found out we were having you...on Mother's Day.  
We called James and Julia at 4am before they left the country (in our defense they'd flown to California and it was 1am for them), to tell them our news, because we'd agreed that they should be the first to know.

So my sweet, just as we'd given up hope at having a baby. You came along to turn our live upside down in the most delightful way.  You bring joy to us every day.  You laughed for the first time yesterday, and it was the sweetest, and funniest thing I think I've ever witnessed.

4 weeks pregnant and didn't know it :)
Tomorrow...tomorrow I'm going to sleep in, eat a bagel, and go shopping for some new clothing, because you didn't take all the weight I'd gained with you when you were born, and I'd foolishly gotten rid of all of my 'fat' clothing a couple of months before I got pregnant. Silly me.

Happy Mother's Day to all those mother's out there.

-me
p.s. please sleep well tonight. kthanx.

1 comment:

  1. That was a very very very sweet story. My warm wishes for u 3 <3

    ReplyDelete